The INIA Department of Food Technology carries out research projects in the field of technology and quality of dairy and meat products dealing with:
- Improvement of the nutritional and functional quality.
- Improvement of the sensory quality.
- Prevention of microbiological alterations.
- Development of new processes and products.
The specialized knowledge of the research groups at the INIA Department of Food Technology allows providing guidance and support, and design studies based in the specific demands of food companies as well as of research institutions.
These services could be provided, according to the needs and interests of the demanding enterprises, by means of contracts, research and development agreements or material transfer agreements.
Some activities dealing with dairy and meat products that we perform:
- Use of lactic acid bacteria from the INIA culture collection as starters or adjunct cultures which contribute to the ripening, development and/or improvement of the sensory properties of these food products.
- Study alterations and defects from microbiological origin.
- Bioconservation by lactic acid bacteria which produce antimicrobial compounds in situ or by their metabolites.
- Development of new functional products with non-dairy ingredients/compounds.
- Development of new products with lactic acid bacteria and bifidobacteria from the INIA culture collection, from human origin and with probiotic potential.